Tuesday, March 13, 2012

women-equal to men..

Last week international women's day was celebrated along with holi.  But women being notorious for taking their own sweet time to get ready, I thought this would be the appropriate time to express my feelings so that they can read it as well.  Jokes apart, exams and stress ( which comes absolutely free with it) kept me busy and so I apologize for expressing my feelings about the fairer sex so late.

For ages women in our country have been treated as the weaker sex and sadly they are the ones who are always forced to sacrifice for the family. While wishing my mom and my sister this year I gave a thought to the status of women today and I could not find a single reason why they should always be treated so harshly.

Today women are at par with men in all fields.  Be it Kalpana Chawla in the space department, Chanda Kocchar, Shyamala Gopinath , Shikha Sharma in India's financial sector or Indra Nooyi ( head of PepsiCo) and Sudha Narayan Murthy ( the woman behind the success of Infosys- after all she encouraged her husband and also gave him all her savings to start the company) , all have proved that women today are not behind their male counterparts.

On the personal front, I would start with the first woman in my life, my mother, who went through intense pain to give me birth.  I may have differences with her but I can never forget what all she has done for me.  Be it being awake in the night while I had a sound sleep ( and till today I have continued this habit thanks to her creating ambient conditions for the same), to sleeping on a half full or even an empty stomach so that the family could relish the wonderfully cooked new recipe.  Though I don't have a very sharp memory, I still remember how she used to carry this fat little boy in scorching heat so that I could be fresh when I went to nursery.  Whenever my sister or I suffered from fever, she was awake through the night measuring the temperature and saw to it that it did not go out of the comfort zone.  And later in life waking up early to prepare ' ghar ka khana ' so that her dear son or daughter did not fall ill consuming the adulterated food no matter how hectic her schedule was or how tired she was.  And then there was learning newer recipes as per the likes of the family. The list is endl She has almost perfected the zero-salary, zero- holiday job of a homemaker and hence whatever I say is less.

When I was about to turn 5, my sister came into this world and all in the family were happy as never before.  She is the second woman( she wont like me calling her a woman though)  in my life who has fought with me, argued, literally sketched and colored in my school drawing book so that I got an A grade, fighting my case against my dad, sometimes having a much better insight of the situation and many others.  She calls herself as my only girlfriend as she believes I will never have one.  We are as different as chalk and cheese- I love hindi music while she loves English, I believe in saving to some extent while she believes in splurging on anything and everything, I die for cricket while she goes to support Ronaldo and Messi to any levels. Still she is my best friend and will always be.  Its been a great time with her all these years and many a times I look forward to her for guidance.

Then there were cousins and aunts who consoled me when I was sad and celebrated my success more than me.

Finally there are friends.  But schooling in a boys convent made me a shy guy and talking with girls was not natural.  Friends with a similar case at junior college did not help in reducing my shyness as well.  At degree I was always a reticent guy until a few female friends changed me with their unique ways and were patient with me when I just acted stubborn.  Without naming anyone, one of them deserves the maximum credit as she is always there to change me and make me realize that being shy is not good.  Amongst many friends now she remains the closest and I continue to learn a lot from her.

All this proves that women should no longer be treated as the 'sex-object' and it is high time they get their due share in the society.  Still there are atrocities on women, and activities which are a blot on the society.  Will the male-dominated society really accept women as equal is a question that can be answered only with time.  On a personal level I wish it came at the earliest.


1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with ur views and opinion. However, I feel the need to write this. Todays society is completely equal towards both genders. As many might conceive it is not at all male dominated. Infact women are respected to fullest by the entire society. This is specifically for ppl who might end up having false perceptions about Indian society (no disrespect to anyone's feelings).
    Happy Blogging.

    ReplyDelete